Lady Gaga will own 'Horror Story' hotel
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – Lady Gaga has a new line of work: hotel owner.
The famed singer will play "a very wealthy social doyenne who is consumed with art and fashion" in American Horror Story: Hotel (Oct. 7, 10 p.m. ET/PT), the upcoming fifth edition of the FX horror anthology series, co-creator Ryan Murphy told TV writers Friday at the Television Critics Associationsummer press tour.
Gaga, who begins shooting Monday but wasn't at Friday's panel, plays a character who "has a nefarious plan revealed in the first episode."
Hotel, set in downtown Los Angeles, connects to the first season of the series, which took place in an L.A. house, in being rooted in "primal fears," Murphy said.
Those two editions, along with the second season, Asylum, share the concept of being trapped, added co-creator Brad Falchuk. "It lends to scares, fears (of what's) under your own be or next door," he said. The new season is "a little less claustrophobic than the first one" and has a noirish, moody feel. Horror "is dripping" out of the hotel.
The actors each described their characters. Here's a breakdown:
• Sarah Paulson plays Sally, a drug addict who is "quite dark and sexy." She hates Iris (Kathy Bates) "in a rather ancient way, for reasons that will be revealed quickly."
• Bates plays Iris, who runs the hotel.
• Angela Bassett plays Ramona, who is "this fabulous actress of the day." She doesn't live at the hotel but visits frequently.
• Wes Bentley plays a detective who is "investigating some grisly murder."
• Chloë Sevigny plays Alex, who is married to the detective. She's a mother and doctor who is "dealing with a great loss we had in our family."
• Matt Bomer plays Donovan, "who is a denizen of the Hotel Cortez." He has "very interesting relationships" with many of the female characters.
Angela Bassett, left, and Kathy Bates, seen here in 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' will return for 'Hotel,' the fifth edition of the FX anthology series.
• Denis O'Hare plays Elizabeth Taylor. "I'm not actually (Taylor). I'm playing a person inspired by awesome things like Butterfield 8 and Cleopatra." Elizabeth works in the hotel bar.
• Finn Witrock plays Tristan Duffy, a male model "who is always looking for his next high." He will interact with Lady Gaga's character. "She sees all of me."
• Cheyenne Jackson plays Will Drake, "a fashion icon trying to creatively reestablish himself, so he moves from New York to Los Angeles. He's "a little desperate."