Winter Film Awards 5th annual INDIE FILM FESTIVAL runs Feb 18-26 in NYC with a jam-packed schedule of 86 films by emerging filmmakers from 26 countries. Free discussion Panels, daily screenings of fantastic films and free parties every night.
Hollywood might ignore women and people of color, but Winter Film Awards celebrates everyone! #WFA2016 #WFASoDiverse
THE CULTURE NEWS strongly recommends you to attend this first class Film Festival with a very large selection of films from diverse horizons. Founded by Mr George Isaacs and executed by a wonderful and effective team: Steffanie Finn, Joseph Mauceri, Vaughn Murphy, Vanessa McGinley...to name a few. This unique Film Festival has many more years ahead of him.
Among the 86 Official Selections to be screened at Cinema Village in the heart of Greenwich Village (22 East 12th Street, New York, NY 10003), is a diverse mixture of 12 documentaries, 34 shorts, 10 narrative features, 9 animations, 7 music videos, 9 horror films and 5 web series, including 8 student films, 36 female directors, 40% of films by people of color and representation from 26 countries. 43% of accepted films pass the “Bechdel Test”. The majority of the films were made for a budget under $50,000.
* Screenings & Discussion Panels at Cinema Village (22 East 12th Street, New York NY 10003) Feb 19-25
* Opening Reception at The Attic (251 West 48th Street, New York NY 10036) Feb 18 8-11PM, Open Bar 8-9PM
* Gala Red Carpet at Club 230Fifth (230 Fifth Avenue, New York NY 10001) Feb 26 8-11PM
* FREE Parties every night, see website for details
* FREE Discussion Panel Feb 23 “Getting the Best Sound in your Indie Film” with NYCPost
* FREE Discussion Panel Feb 24 “NY State’s Support for Filmmakers” with NYS Governor’s Office. . . sponsored by Jungle Software. Each attendee will receive a complimentary copy of the Rate Book!
* FREE Discussion Panel Feb 25 “NYC’s Great Benefits for Filmmakers” with NYC Mayor’s Office
* $5 afternoon matinees Monday through Thursday
* Animation Afternoon Matinee – Feb 22 – $5
* Bloody Thursday – All Horror – All Day – Feb 25
* Screenings each night and all weekend $10 in advance, $15 at the door
Visit www.WinterFilmAwards.com for tickets, schedule and details
About Winter Film Awards
Winter Film Awards focuses on diversity, innovation and creativity in Independent Film, with a special emphasis on highlighting women and minority filmmakers from around the world. Our programming includes intriguing documentaries, hilarious short films, creepy horror films and hot indies on the circuit from Sundance, SXSW, Cannes and beyond. We are an all-volunteer women and minority-run 501(c)3 organization founded in 2011 by NYC filmmakers and arts enthusiasts. It was built with the dream of making indie film more accessible to the public and providing driven, talented artists the opportunity to break through competitive barriers to establish meaningful careers in film. Some of our filmmakers have years of experience; others are so new to filmmaking that our Festival is the very first time that they see their work on a big screen.
2016 Festival Benchmarks
487 … 2016 Total Submissions (up 30% from 2015)
86 … 2016 selected Films
26 …. Countries
$50k … Average selected film’s Budget
40% …. Films directed or produced by women
40% …. Films directed or producted by people of color
10 …. Student films
26 …. First time directors
21 …. Films by or about New York
10 …. Films by or about LGBT
43% …. Films pass the “Bechdel Test”
9 …. Animated films
13 ….. Documentaries
11 …. Feature narratives (non-horror)
9 …. Horror films
7 …. Music Videos
32 …. Narrative shorts (non-horror)
5 …. Web series